Case study: Sustainable is Attainable Hawke’s Bay
Aim: Partner with Sustainable is Attainable Hawke’s Bay (SiA HB), local councils and businesses to create a project which minimises waste in the food manufacturing sector.
Hawke’s Bay has a large number of primary industry businesses, along with industries which support them. There are significant opportunities to divert the waste they generate which promotes a circular economy in the region. SiA HB works to create a collaborative approach for identifying and tackling problem waste streams. The aim is to develop innovative, long-term solutions which divert the waste from landfill for reused or repurposing in high-value products.
- Identify waste streams and volumes
- Find potential pathways for use/reuse
- Identify possible new product development from waste streams
What did we deliver?
- Provided a professional working environment, a Living Wage, support and mentoring from our R&D team for two student interns for three months
- Gathered, aggregated and analysed data
- Explored regional and national opportunities for circular systems
- Researched opportunities to turn waste into high value products
How did we do it?
- Collaborated with participating businesses
- Collected, aggregated and analysed data
- Illuminated barriers and opportunities with data insights
- Validated innovative ideas with those at the coalface
- Promoted partnerships between businesses to achieve local circular solutions
“We’ve been so fortunate to have 3R Group involved in Sustainable is Attainable Hawke’s Bay. Not only do they bring an incredible wealth of expertise and experience to the table, but they provided spectacular mentorship to our student interns and have brought together key parties to progress opportunities..”Nicky Solomon
Sustainable is Attainable Hawke’s Bay project co-ordinator