Case study: Palmerston North City Council MyHazWaste
Aim: To cost-effectively protect the Palmerston North community and environment from harm from hazardous waste stored by residents
Many households have hazardous waste that’s not safe to dispose of in kerbside recycling or landfill. Palmerston North City Council wanted to avoid potentially dangerous storage and disposal that could harm local residents and their environment.
- Safely dispose of hazardous waste from the Palmerston North community
- Educate community members about the dangers of dumping hazardous waste inappropriately
- Support Palmerston North City Council to manage the process, timelines, budget and outcomes of hazardous waste events
What did we do?
- A drop-off event to suit the budget and timeframes of Palmerston North City Council
- An easy-to-use online booking system to minimise the risk of unknown quantities and materials being brought to the event
- Education on existing safe pathways for some substances
- Fully qualified staff and safe facilities to accept the hazardous material
- Appropriate disposal and destruction services
- Evidence of safe disposal
How did we do it?
- We collaborated with the council to design an event that was tailored to their community
- Together with the council, we activated three successful annual campaigns for residents to register and drop-off their hazardous waste
- We innovated by building on the success of the first event to streamline subsequent events
“3R (MyHazWaste) has been our hazardous household waste drop-off event contractor for the past 3 years – providing an effective solution in registering and organising a drop off day for residents for the proper treatment and disposal of household chemicals.”Kian Lee
Palmerston North City Council